I love breakfast. I love muffins. But the muffins I grew up on were your typical out-of-the-box sugar-filled, refined white flour bundles of goodness . . . yes, I will admit that they tasted preeeeetty good, but there’s no denying they were unhealthy and didn’t leave me feeling very energized.
I’m here to share my new favorite recipe for healthy muffins passed on by my sister-in-law and to say that healthy foods don’t have to be flavorless and lacking deliciousness! In fact, the recipe is gluten-free and contains no added sugar (there are natural sugars in the fruits), but is completely wonderful – and if you aren’t vegan (like me), you can add a little bit of warm butter to top it off. Mmm..
Check out the simple recipe card below for the how-to. Steps to make the muffins vegan are included!
- 2 cups Almond Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tblsp Cinnamon
- 1 cup pitted Dates
- 3 ripe Bananas
- 3 Organic Eggs (can use vegan egg substitute - i.e., applesauce or ground flaxseed)
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or applesauce (I didn't add any oil or applesauce and it turned out nicely!)
- 1.5-2 cups shredded Carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped Walnuts
- 3/4 cup Raisins or Blueberries, whatever you fancy!
- 1.) Pre-heat oven to 350°
- 2.) In a medium-sized bowl, combine dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon
- 3.) Whisk together thoroughly
- 4.) In a food processor, combine wet ingredients - bananas, dates, ACV, eggs (or vegan substitute), and oil - blend thoroughly
- 5.) When wet ingredients are well blended, add to dry ingredients in bowl and whisk until completely combined
- 6.) Add in carrots, walnuts, and other additives (raisins, blueberries, whatever you want!)
- 7.) Mix in until well-combined
- 8.) Spoon mixture into muffin pan (I avoid using paper muffin cups due to the unnecessary waste)
- 9.) Bake for 25 minutes
- 10.) Enjoy!
- Yields 1.5 dozen muffins
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1.5-2 cups shredded carrots
2 tsp baking soda
1 tblsp cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
3 ripe bananas
1 cup pitted dates
3 organic eggs 3 Eggs (can use vegan egg substitute – i.e., applesauce or ground flaxseed)
1/4 cup coconut oil or applesauce (not pictured) (I didn’t add any of these and turned out nicely!)
3/4 cup raisins or blueberries (not pictured)
1.) Measure out dry ingredients and pre-heat oven to 350°
2.) In a medium-sized bowl, combine dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon
3.) Whisk together thoroughly
4.) In a food processor, combine wet ingredients – bananas, dates, ACV, eggs (or vegan substitute) and coconut oil – blend thoroughly
6.) Add in carrots, walnuts, and other additives (raisins, blueberries, whatever you want!)
7.) Mix in until well-combined
8.) Spoon mixture into oiled muffin pan (I avoid using paper muffin cups due to the unnecessary waste)
9.) Bake for 25 minutes
And . . . enjoy! I suggest eating one (or five) while they are still warm; you can also heat them up for 10-15 seconds in the microwave before eating.
Please share any creative alterations you’ve come up with to this recipe in the comments section (You have to click on this post’s title and it will open this post by itself, then the comments section is below the post!)