What are Essential Oils?
We are naturally drawn to some plants for their aromatic properties. This draw is as natural as the desire to literally stop and smell the roses. Essential oils are the naturally occurring, volatile aromatic compounds are found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts of plants.
We access these oils through the distillation process, which involves putting the freshly harvested plant matter (i.e., for peppermint essential oil it would be peppermint leaves) over boiling water, and the steam actually pulls the oils out of the plant. Then the steam rises and is pushed along tubing. The steam is then cooled, which causes it to condense back into water. Fortunately, water and essential oils do not mix, so the oils sit on the surface of the water where they are then siphoned off. This practice dates back more than 5000 years (source).
What are Essential Oils For?
Many claim essential oils are a cure-all. I see them as a valuable addition to any natural health regimen. I eat whole, organic foods (with the occasional donut for good measure ;) ), drink herbal teas & infusions, use organic skincare, and incorporate the use of essential oils to help maintain health and household needs. If you are passionate about healthy living and haven’t used essential oils, they are worth checking out.
You can use essential oils for all kinds of things:
- Pain relief
- Help sleeping
- Colds & allergies
- Deodorizing a room or your car
- Home pest deterrent
- In DIY cleaning products
- Oral hygiene
- DIY skincare & cosmetics
- Insect repellent
- Air cleanser
- General disinfecting
- In cooking & drinks
- Disclaimer: know what you are doing before ingesting oils. I always, always recommend using the full plant for ingestion over the essential oil: i.e., a lemon/lemon juice over lemon essential oil.
- Many, many other ailments and DIY creations!
Why I chose dōTERRA
Being as passionate about environmental sustainability and authenticity as I am, I was pretty skeptical when it came to this whole selling essential oils craze. I personally grow my own organic herbs on my farm just outside of Nashville, TN, make my own herbal skincare using the most quality ingredients I can source, and either grow my own food or get locally-grown pesticide-free veggies & meat from my neighbors. I do whatever I can to lessen my impact on the environment. This includes reusing as much packaging and other items as possible, composting all food scraps & turning this into rich soil, and supporting companies that have the same values in all my purchases.
After a lot of research, I learned some very exciting things about dōTERRA:
- dōTERRA’s essential oils are beyond organic. This is for real. The plants that the oils are extracted from are not treated with any chemical pesticides or herbicides. To better understand this, know that many plants used to make essential oils (lavender, rosemary, peppermint, etc.) are natural pest deterrents, meaning there wouldn’t be any need to add pesticide anyhow. Most herbs do not face pressure from pest or disease in the first place.
- Rather than start their own farms (which they could, to be honest!), dōTERRA made a very conscious decision to connect with local farmers that were already growing the plants needed to extract essential oils. They have helped employ many indigenous farmers through this practice.
- Because dōTERRA works with farmers already established growing their respective crops, the plants for the oils are grown in their natural habitat: where they thrive, are most potent, and need less input (in terms of water, compost, etc) because they are being grown where they are meant to.
Trustworthy Product & Ethics is Critical
If it isn’t already apparent through pursuing my blog or even some of what I’ve shared above, I am very dedicated to environmental sustainability and human rights. I assure you that I would not be part of this venture if I did not trust both how the plants are grown, but that those getting the product from field to bottle are being treated fairly. I have done a lot of research.
Why am I Part of This?
I’ve had to answer this question a lot (in my own brain, first & foremost). I have been an open skeptic of “MLM” companies and also some of the recommendations of those selling essential oils (i.e, ingesting without dilution, putting certain oils on babies, etc.). I am doing this because I trust the company, the quality of the product, and I realized, most importantly, that I can share this with you in the way I feel most comfortable with. In other words, I’m not going to make bogus health claims just to sell a bottle of oils. I’m not going to tell you that you need this product. I’m not going to push you to tell all your friends and family.
I am going to be honest, authentic, and gentle. I am going to tell you the truth, to share with you something I believe in because I have done the research, and I myself am a skeptic :) I am going to give you the opportunity to experience something that can be beneficial for you in a variety of ways. And if you feel like it won’t be, that is great too!!
Want to Learn More/Ready to Start?
Schedule a chat with me today!
The best way to learn about how you can harness the plant medicine of essential oils is to set up a time to talk with me. We can do so over the phone, or if you’re local to the Nashville, TN area, I’d love to meet in person at a coffee shop or on my farm to discuss.
Let’s start with a 15-30 min phone call! You can schedule below. Once you schedule, you’ll get a confirmation email and I will call you at the time specified. You don’t have to do anything but answer the phone :)
What to Expect During Our Call:
- No. Pressure. This is casual.
- I am never going to pressure you to do, say, or buy anything.
- Information & honesty.
- I am a stickler for accurate information and transparency. If I don’t know the answer to something, I will tell you.
- I will share with you about how essential oils have helped me and what I use them for, as well as research-backed information about their best uses. I will be honest in what they do and don’t do (i.e., I’m never going to say, “THEY CURE CANCER!”).
- I also want you to know I’m a safe space to share things about your health or goals that you want to share. Everything is confidential.
- Laughter & acceptance.
- I like to keep things lighthearted. I think I’m a fairly easy person to talk to. I am here to help, not to judge, and to guide you toward something that might improve your life! How fun is that!