Welcome! I’m Rachel, the homesteader, hand-maker, and healthy-liver behind This Organic Life. Thank you for stopping by and I invite you to read on to learn a bit more about who the heck I am. :)
I am passionate about healthy living – the kind that has me digging in the earth, learning how to eat like our ancestors did, and connecting with others on a deeper level. If you feel any kinship to any of those ideals, you’re in the right place.
My husband Jon and I reside on our recently-purchased organic farm outside of Nashville, TN, where I grew up. We spent a number of years in the Midwest, mostly in Northern Wisconsin, where we loved the lengthy, abundant winters that provided beautiful snow to enjoy cross country skiing any day of the week. Recently, transition in our lives brought us down south to my hometown in search of our long-desired farm. I am so thrilled that we finally found our farm!
As I mentioned above, my passion is cultivating health for people + the environment. What I have learned is that these two things aren’t at odds; but rather, our health is inextricably connect with that of the environment, and vice versa. I have spent the last 10 years doing a variety of things to come to this realization: living + working on organic farms, studying herbalism + nutrition, teaching environmental/sustainability education to all ages, making my life more environmentally sustainable, practicing + teaching yoga, learning the healing art of reiki, and learning (+ loving!) to cook with whole foods that nourish our bodies.
Now, here I am, to share my love for living close to the earth with others.
EDUCATION + CERTIFICATIONS:
- The Science & Art of Herbalism (Est. 2017): Rosemary Gladstar, Sage Mountain Herbal Education Center – East Barre, VT
- Reiki Levels 1 & 2 (2016): Loving Light Healing, LLC – Milwaukee, WI
- Permaculture Design Certificate (2015): Midwest Permaculture – Stelle, IL
- 200-Hr. Registered Yoga Teacher (2013): Yoga Alliance via Your Yoga – Minneapolis, MN
- Master of Science in Natural Resources: Environmental Education (2011): University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
- Bachelor of Art in Communications: Electronic Media (2007): University of Dayton – Dayton, OH